This ancient therapy has been used by Chinese, Mayans, and Egyptians for over 3,000 years. Massage Cupping is a modern adaptation of the ancient art of cupping therapy. While massage is performed by applying pressure, cupping instead uses negative pressure to pull, lift, open and expand the body’s soft tissues, much like the inverse of massage - rather than applying pressure to muscles. For most clients, this is particularly relaxing and relieving. Glass, silicone or plastic cups are strategically placed over muscle tissue to clear up stagnant circulation and energy, resulting in breaking up of scar tissue.The Cups can be moved (gliding) using different techniques while gently pulling up. The cups can also be left (parked) on a particular area for short period of time to facilitate joint mobilization or soft tissue release. The suction can reach deep into soft tissue, attachments and organs similar to deep tissue massage. Cupping helps to clear up congestion, adhesions, dissipate lactic acid, and flush toxins from the system via the lymph system. Cupping relieves tired, sore, and over worked muscles, perfect for ridding the body of chronic and acute pain. Immediate stress relief will be experienced.
What are the marks?
The marks know as Hickeys or Cup kiss, are not bruises, and they are not painful. The "cup kisses" are usually not tender after treatment and are not caused from direct impact but from suction. Most cup kisses clear up within 3 days some can last a couple weeks. If you don't have any marks after the treatment that doesn't mean it didn't do its job. Each person reacts different to the treatment. Some areas will leave a dark mark which usually indicates where the pain is originating from and/or the organ it affects.Recent studies have shown that regular cupping along specific points on the back increases immunity (the body's defense against microbes) by increasing white blood cell count. Studies have shown that cupping affects the tissues up to 4 inches into the skin and muscle layers. In addition, massage cupping technique can be used to prevent muscle atrophy. Cupping treatments are also beneficial for the skin in many ways; Stimulation of the cutaneous immunity and facilitate the flow of lymph, which helps remove bacteria and carry proteins. The skin will regenerate faster. Promotion of metabolism within the skin tissues. It accelerates the functions of both sweat & sebaceous glands. Leading to secretion of salts, sebaceous material and the excretion of sweat. Cupping therapy is, like massage, also effective against anxiety and worry. Insomnia is treated by cupping in conjunction with massage. Depending on what you are receiving cupping therapy for will determine the types of cups used and how they are used. There are ways to do cupping without leaving marks but again this depends on what your goals for the session are.
In general, Massage Cupping releases rigid soft tissue, drains excess toxins and fluids, loosens adhesions, lifts connective tissue and brings blood flow to stagnant muscles and skin.
- Increases the flow of lymph, which helps remove bacteria & toxic substances from the body
- Loosen Adhesions -breaks up scar tissue
- Release Deep Tissue Issues
- Pain Relief
- Improve Circulation
- Increase Range of Movement
- Move Stagnation
- Relieve Inflammation
- Stimulate Blood Flow
- Relieves pain from sciatica/ back pain, shin splints, whiplash, and other conditions
- Smoothing the appearance of stretch marks
- Increases production of synovial fluids in the joints
(Talk with your Therapist, Cupping may be modified or Doctors approval may be required.)
- Should not be performed on open wounds or around skin ulcers.
- Cupping should not be applied on the portion where hernia exists or has occurred in the past.
- Should also be avoided on the elderly with very thin, delicate skin.
- Application of cupping on the abdominal area, or lower back and sacrum of pregnant woman.
- Someone with bleeding disorder and menstruating woman in some cases.
- Acute stages of Psoriasis, Eczema, or Rosacea
- broken bones
- Fever- you will be sent home
- Those undergoing cancer treatments such as radiation (check with Doctor)
- ulcerated sores or large blood vessels
- severe diseases, such as cardiac failure, renal failure, ascites due to hepato-cirrhosis and severe edema
- hemorrhagic diseases such as allergic pupura, hemophilia and leukemia